Main menu

Pages

Structural Design from First Principles Edit By Michael Byfield

 Download Structural Design from First Principles Edit By Michael Byfield  


Contents Civil Engineering 

1- Limit state design
2- Steel members in flexure
3- Buckling of steel columns and trusses
4- Buckling of arches
5- Buckling of thin-walled structures
6- Composite structures
7- Reinforced concrete beams and columns
8- Prestressed structures
9- Strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete
10- Control of cracking in reinforced concrete
11- Timber beams, columns and trusses 

Preface Structural Design from First Principles

When I began my career in academia, I taught students how to use the British Standards to design members. The Eurocodes were introduced and I was faced with the challenge of teaching some very complicated design methods to students who had only a basic understanding of mechanics. I decided I needed to teach students the first principles and began out of necessity to write lecture notes that turned into this book. During this process, I found it was possible to tackle some problems that would ordinarily be outside the scope of traditional undergraduate courses. Topics like the design of long span bridges, which if treated from first principles, become quite easy to understand.

I have not ignored the codes. In fact, I have used the Eurocode safety factors and notation throughout. However, the formulae are in many cases quite different. My intention has been to convey a firm understanding—not of the current codes themselves—but of the underpinning principles. I hope this will help young engineers to face the future, whichever design codes they use.

I would like to express my thanks to Louise (my wife) and also John (my father), who patiently proof read the manuscript. I would also like to thank Allan Mann, who found the time to read the entire manuscript and write the Foreword to this book. I would also like to thank my Editor, Tony Moore, for his help throughout.
reactions

Comments

table of contents title